In the heart of the Burren, lies one of the oldest caves in Ireland
Located in the heart of the Burren In County Clare. Forty minutes from both Galway and Shannon. Perched high on its Burren terraced mountain side with what has to be one of the most spectacular views of Galway Bay. It is a must for all who find themselves in the area.
The Burren is a place full of wonder, beauty and discovery. Let the staff at AILLWEE CAVE welcome you to the dramatic underworld of this area. Expert guides will accompany and inform you during your leisurely tour. The tour consists of a 30 minute stroll through the beautiful caverns – over bridged chasms, under weird formations and alongside the thunderous waterfall which sometimes gently sprays the unsuspecting visitor! Unique Cave Features Marvel at the frozen waterfall and explore the now extinct brown bears bones (ursos arctos).
The guides will bring you back to the outside world where you can browse and SHOP in distinctly different craft shops which are housed in the award winning complex that guards the entrance to the Burren underground.
At the Aillwee Cave complex you can:
- SEEK OUT an unusual mineral specimen, crystal or fossil.
- RELAX in our friendly tearoom.
- FIND a personalized souvenir from our extensive craft shop
- EAT the appetizing food from our own kitchen, each prepared from the finest ingredients.
- DRINK a glass of wine on the terrace and see the most breathtaking views in Ireland of Galway Bay.
- CLIMB freely over the typical Burren Limestone pavement above the cave to see the spring gentian or mountain aven blooming in profusion.
- WATCH cheese being made in the dairy and then sample the scrumptious homemade fudge and choose a selection of jams, chutneys and pickles all lovingly prepared in the Farm kitchen.